Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Racism in MMOs

Greetings my loyal subjects!

I took my priestess out on an instance run one night in the hopes of finding non-ridiculous looking headgear. In my group were a gnome warrior and a dwarf paladin. Because of the wonder of the brand new Dungeon Finder introduced in patch 3.3, the warrior was assigned tank while the paladin was assigned DPS. This did not sit well with the paladin, however, because he kept pulling mobs before the warrior can. This, of course, pissed the warrior off.

"Please remember that I am TANK."

To which the paladin replied,

"Please remember that you are GNOME."

He then began a tirade on how gnomes are unsuitable tanks because they are too small, then started spouting off nasty short jokes. After a few minutes of this the night elf druid couldn't take anymore and said,

"Dude, you're a dwarf, you're like, one foot taller."

The paladin, of course, refused to lose the argument.

Paladin: But gnomes are the smallest in the game.
Druid: Not for long.
Paladin: Goblins are taller than gnomes.
Druid: No, they're the same height.
Paladin: Goblins are taller because of their ears.

Because of my laggy connection, and because the two DPS are arguing instead of actually doing DPS, the group, except for the paladin died.

Druid: Okay, who can resu?
Warrior: The DWARF can.
Paladin: Call me "paladin", not "dwarf", you little racist!

Which brings me to my little topic. What's with all the racism in online games? Don't we have enough of this in the real world? Sure, everyone's a little bit racist sometimes, doesn't mean we go about committing hate crimes (Avenue Q rocks!), but still. Calling Tauren cows and Accretians tin cans? That's insulting! Players have feelings too!

And besides, everyone is equal no matter what your race is. After all, you all are nothing but specks of dust at my imperial feet.


Signed,
Her Imperial Majesty

0 comments:

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About