Pages

Friday, December 4, 2009

That Stupid One Foot Spin

Greetings my loyal subjects!

It took me nearly a year to learn that stupid one foot spin. There was just something about that whole swinging your leg then crossing it over the other leg while spinning that turned my knees into jelly. Sure, I could literally spin on one foot, but with my other foot hovering so close to the ice that it looks like I'm actually spinning on both feet. And the Imperial Coach can't have any of that, can he?

See, when I was first trying to learn that stupid one foot spin, I was actually doing pretty okay. I almost had the leg swinging down pat. Then one afternoon, while I was trying to cross my legs while spinning, one of the little skater girls saw something that made her shout.

"Oh my god, Your Majesty, that lady over there is picking her nose!"

Though it was nearly metaphysically impossible to observe any specific thing while spinning, my imperial eyes followed where the girl was pointing - and there was indeed a lady who was picking her nose. Her shocked expression indicated that it registered to her that the girl and I were watching her, and slowly pulled her finger away.

Witnessing that scene caused me to lose control of my spin, making me land painfully on my bum. I didn't attempt to spin again until two weeks later, after I have gotten over my fear of witnessing something horrible while doing so.

So there I was, almost getting the leg swinging down pat, and trying to cross my legs, when again it happened. Out of the corner of my eye, at the very same spot where we saw the nose picking lady earlier, I saw a couple doing things they shouldn't do next to a skating rink. More specifically, the guy had his hand down the girl's shirt. When the girl realized that I was watching them, she alerted the guy and he quickly pulled his hand out. Then they both looked at me, with shocked expressions on their faces.

That scene also caused me to lose control of my spin, again making me land painfully on my bum. I quit skating regularly shortly after.

Anyway, that was all in my imperial past. I've been skating regularly again for about a month now, and I'm amazed at how fast the Imperial Coach managed to get me over my irrational fear of witnessing something horrible while spinning, as well as my irrational fear of the whole leg swinging then crossing thing.

I can now do a decent one foot spin, and tomorrow I will start my Freestyle 3 lessons (which includes the dreaded change foot spin).




















Signed,
Her Imperial Majesty

0 comments:

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About